Please note that all downloadables and links are highlighted in yellow! :)

Friday, July 13, 2012

Scientifically Speaking...

One of my centers [or Sci Labs as I will call them] this year is called "Scientifically Speaking." In the past I used this title for my word wall and in conjunction with it told my students that when they speak in class they need to be as "Scientifically Specific" as possible meaning they had to use as many of the words/phrases found on the wall as possible.

I am hoping to add some fun activities that relate to the CCSS standards in this Sci Lab. One of my first activities will have my 6th graders use the element boxes as found on the periodic table to spell out a word/phrase from the word wall. Kind of like this:


They will then have to write the real definition and then their own definition of the word as if they were explaining it to another student who has no clue as to the meaning of the word/phrase. And quite possibly write a sentence using the word and/or draw a picture. Since I've never had them do anything like this before [centers are VERY NEW to me!] I hope they kinda come out as works of art to hang all over....my school is big on hanging student work EVERYWHERE! I'll definitely be sure to post pictures and a description of how it works after we try it! If you've done something like this, let me know how it went please! 


I'm so excited about this....I just know it will be SCIENCE DIVA CERTIFIED!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment