Please note that all downloadables and links are highlighted in yellow! :)

Monday, July 11, 2011

Ever Walked Through Paper????

GOOD MORNING INQUIRING MINDS! Did you know that a square piece of dry paper cannot be folded in half more than 7 times???? Go ahead...try it! :)

I love finding weird, yet true science bits. My students especially love those bits, too! Like this one: Walking Through Paper. Maybe some of you have done this when teaching matter/physical changes. I tell my students that I can walk through paper and proceed to talk about physical changes while cutting a piece of folded paper. In the end, I open up the paper which is now a HUGE circle and walk through it. In the video on youtube, the girl cuts hers a bit too large. I try to cut along the blue lines of the paper to get that HUGENESS. Of course my students all want to do it too, so I allow them a few minutes to try. I assign them the task of going home and "tricking" their parents and writing a reflection of the "tricking". The next day they come back to school with such FABULOUS reflections that they want to share. I post these on a bulletin board for all to read. I love sparking that curiosity and creativity!

Go ahead, check out the "Walking Through Paper" video. After all, it is SCIENCE DIVA CERTIFIED!

Remember: "All the world is a laboratory to the inquiring mind". ~Martin H. Fischer

No comments:

Post a Comment